Photoshop templates for Photo Books

Follow

Comments

23 comments

Vincent Lawrence

I've designed several books with other companies and have always done bleed art (images extend to the edge or off the page).  In many templates the size is set to larger than the paper with a red boarder marked 'bleed' or 'trim.'  What does AdoramaPix do for trimming the paper? I see there is a 'safe region' but is there also a trim line? Is an 8x12 book actually have pages that are 7.75" x 11.75"?  This is an important feature for people creating books since without bleed there is a chance of thin white lines on the edges of the page if the page is trimmed imperfectly. This would be a good page to inform people of the bleed/trim standards of Adorama.  - Thanks!

Adoramapix

We trim by slightly enlarging the content and trimming to actual size. Thus an 8x8 book has 8" tall by 16" wide spreads without fear of white edges..

Vincent Lawrence

Thanks, I suspected such. Is there a figure associated with "slightly"? I ask since it would be good to know how much would be expected to be trimmed. I'm assuming that the adjustment made is either so slight that the crispness of text would not be effected, or perhaps you simply lower the print resolution so that the uploaded images don't receive any interpolation on your end. Perhaps in the future the system could accommodate planned bleed art.
    The prints I've gotten from AdoramaPix have been excellent and I am looking forward to seeing your lay-flat books.

Adoramapix

About 1/8 of an inch

Holly Genc

Does the preview show it without enlargement? I wish I had confirmation that I get it right, so that nothing gets cut off. It is showing with a white border in my preview, so it's not showing a true preview, correct?

Holly Genc

Can someone answer my question above??

Adoramapix

If you are getting white borders in your [preview, assume they will be in the final output. No it isn't showing a 'true preview' only in the respect that its impossible to know in advance what sort of shifting will take place during print. You should make it look in the preview the way you want it to look in print, with the knowledge that a slight amount of the edge (up to 1/8") will likely be trimmed, but you cant count on exactly how much and on what side. i.e. you want it to look like your preview, but there is nothing right along the very edge that will matter if its gone.

Holly Genc

Well, I went by the template and the "safe area". But when I look at preview it looks exactly same as what I upload. So the template isn't really what I should go by...

Vincent Lawrence

The safety margins simply indicate the maximum tolerance of the trimming of the paper. Anything that you absolutely have to have in your final product needs to be inside the safety margins. This is not where the paper gets trimmed, but it might. The actual trim line is the outer edge of the template document. This would be called the trim line or where bleed artwork needs to extend past. Always design so that your important text and images lie within the safety margins. If you want to have artwork extend right to the edge of the page then you need to extend it past the safety margins to the trim line.

Holly Genc

One more question and I think I'll feel better. Lol. Is it 1/8 off each edge of a 2-page spread? Or overall? So it's more like 1/16" from each edge? 

Claud Vance

Adobe Lightroom contains a module for creating photo books and saving them as a pdf. This is nice, because it can also be used as an ebook on a phone or tablet. They seemed to be assuming Blurb as the printed book publisher. Can you use these Lightroom pdf books?

Adoramapix

Claud. We do have the option for uploading a book in PDF form. As long as the size of the book you create is a match for one of our book sizes you should get good results. When you choose to make a photo book, the first screen you get offers you choices on the type of editor - at the bottom is the option for PDF. 

Adoramapix

Holly, refer to this article http://forums.adoramapix.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000002353

Regards,
    Ale

Holly Genc

Thanks, I figured out how to redo/adjust my images. I'll be fine now.

Laura Guthrie

Does it work to add my own .125" bleed to each side of my spread making it 24.25x12.25) upload that to fit to the 24" page spread so that when you enlarge it by~.125 in printing I will know what my 24x12" spread will look like? I have square images that bleed off the sides in grids and I don't want some to be a slight rectangular

Thanks!

Michelle Matzer

This is my first experience printing a photo book with Adorama Pix.

Two questions....

I downloaded the 10x10 template for the specified number of pages. Although my image covers the entire template when I insert it in book and choose fit to spread it only spreads to the outside of safe zones. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

What is the best way to determine the center of the front cover? There is no guideline. I tried centering between spine edge and outside of safe zone but it doesn't look right when I view the book in preview.

Thank you for your help!

Adoramapix

Hi Michelle. On pages, your content only needs to go to the edges of the template. When working on covers, you should extend your content onto the flaps, otherwise you may get some white showing along the edges of your cover. 

The center of the cover is between the spine edge and the outside of the safe zone. Please note that the flap (beyond the safe zone) isn't considered part of the cover. i.e. it gets wrapped around the inside of the book and the first and last page are glued over it. 

Adoramapix

Re: Laura, if you don't want part of your square images to be clipped, best not to run them right to the edge - leave a border around the outside of the page. 

Abhi

I am having the same issue as Michelle.

I want print names on the center of the front cover, but it is very challenging to figure out exactly where that is. Any tips?

Peter Raulerson

I recently made a 12x9 photo book at Adoramapix (which I like very much) and now want to make 12x12 and 12x15 photo books, but in the tables above:

1. In the first table above (for Luster, Glossy, Linen & Pebble Papers), there are multiple links to download Inside Spread and Cover layout PSDs for 12x9 and 12x12 Book Shapes, but NO Cover layout PSDs at all for 12x15 books, just Inside Spreads — where can I download Cover layouts for 12x15 books with "Luster, Glossy, Linen & Pebble Papers"?

2. In the second table above (for "Deep Matte & Silk Papers”) there are full rows of Cover layout PSDs for 12x9 and 12x12 Book Shapes, but no entries for 12x15 books at all — where can I download Cover layouts for 12x15 books with "Deep Matte & Silk Papers"?

Peter Raulerson

When I clicked just now on the link to download the "Cover 8-14pg" for 12x12 Luster, Glossy, Linen & Pebble Papers, your website takes me to a page that says "OOPS! We can’t find the page you are looking for...", even though the URL for that webpage is http://www.adoramapix.com/downloads/layouifth%20Avenue%2012x12%208%20to%2014%20pages%20Book%20Cover.psd

I think this means that someone didn't set up the link properly, or didn't name the file to match the filename in the link. Please fix this.

By the way, all of the other links in that row in the table work correctly. 

Adoramapix

Hi Peter. The reason there aren't any cover layouts for 12x15 books is because they are only available with leather or leather-lux covers, not custom covers. Since there wasn't a need to design the cover for a 12X15 cover, the template wasn't provided. 

Adoramapix

Peter, the second question - there is an error in the link - thanks for pointing it out. If you just edit the link so it says

http://www.adoramapix.com/downloads/layouts/Fifth%20Avenue%2012x12%208%20to%2014%20pages%20Book%20Cover.psd

you'll find it works. I'll get them to fix the typo on the back end.

Thanks!
    AL

Please sign in to leave a comment.