Photo Book Pages

Follow

Comments

37 comments

al escudero

Hi Gayle. Posting questions here will generally get a response within 24 hours. Likewise with our social media channels if it's a general question. If you have something of an order-specific nature, email works if it's not a rush item, or calling in if it is. I'm not sure about the stats for how busy the lines are, but I'll bring up the issue with the head of customer support and COO and see what can be done to increase availability.

theresa kelly

I can't hear a word of the video link you have posted above. Even with the volume turned completely up, it is barely audible.

al escudero

Hi Theresa. Not sure why this is, I just listened to it now and although the default sound levels were low, when I turned it up it was quite audible. Have you tried both settings - the audio setting on your computer, as well as the audio slider on the video player interface?

Margaret Stahl

After reading the messages above about the issue with the luster option books, I agree that the difference in the quality must be caused by a change in the manufacturing process of the actual paper. I have been looking for a new company to print my books because I thought my previous company was messing with the quality as my new books suffer from everything described above.  That said, I have created my book and I am at a total loss as to what paper to use.  I have read everything I can and looked at the videos, but I still need help.  I thought about Fuji Deep Matte, but I use a lot of black and deep shadow effects in my photos and everything I read says that would not be a good choice for me.  So, if luster no longer has the quality it did, what would be my next best option? 

al escudero

Margaret, our luster paper is still professional grade luster finish photo paper. Discrepancies people have commented are likely the result of changes in the raw materials. i.e. from time to time the manufacturer of the paper itself, Kodak, Fuji, etc. make changes to their product.

There is also a subjective factor to take into consideration. Whenever anything changes (whether we're talking about the paper or not), some people inevitably don't like the change, even if it's an improvement/upgrade. You should try our paper as it currently stands and see if it's something you personally like. Some other person's aesthetic opinions may not be in sync with your own.

One thing you could try is to order some 4x6 prints with varying paper types you're considering and see which you like best...

Regards,
    AL

Queenie Cheung

HI Ale,

I am planning to make a hudson album as a keepsake and also a book for our guests to sign it. I was thinking of using the Endura silk paper, but for signing would you recommend a different paper? I was told the silk is great for engagement/proposal photos. With so many options for the hudson album I want to make sure I pick the right paper. Also is there a huge different on the thick vs. contemporary thin paper? I"m trying to figure out which type of paper is best as well. Thanks!

al escudero

Hi Queenie.

1. For signing, all the papers work well, but you'll find the smoothest easiest writing on papers with the least texture. i.e. Deep matte, Matte, and Glossy. Luster and Silk are OK. Pebble and Linen are the hardest. You can still write fine on those (i.e. it won't skip or smear) but the bumpy texture makes it slightly harder to have smooth flowing strokes. Check here for details on the best pen to use for writing on photo paper.
    2. Silk is gorgeous. I prefer it over luster as my default paper, but as I mentioned above, it is in the middle as far as writing quality.
    3. The paper is the same on both the thick pages and the slim, the only difference is the thickness of the 'board' that is glued between the pages. Our regular photo books are sheets of genuine photo paper glued back to back. This creates a thick (compared to magazine style paper) but somewhat flexible page - about the thickness of a postcard. For Hudson albums we take an additional layer of material and glue it between the pages to provide additional thickness and stability.

If you're not certain about the paper type, my recommendation would be to take a few of your favorite prints from the wedding and order regular prints of them on the various paper types you're interested in. You can then see/feel the color, texture and tone for yourself and make an informed decision. No matter how detailed a photo I put on the web, look at a 72dpi image on your monitor just isn't the same as having the paper in your hand and seeing it first hand. After you've looked them over and made your decision, you can use those 'test' prints to give to family or for small frame at the office. If you have a couple of spares you can even test out writing on them to determine whether the texture is an issue for you or whether you're OK with it. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.