Photo Book Pages

Follow

Comments

37 comments

Shauna Smith

How thick are your paper types?

Adoramapix

Quite thick Shauna. Like cardstock. Each page is two pieces of photographic paper glued together, so imagine the thickness of an 8x10 print and double it. It does flex, but its not thin or flimsy. I've ordered books with identical content from our competitors who have regular paper, and compared them to ours and our books are almost 3 times as thick.

Cheryl Hempy

Which type of paper would you recommend for a wedding photo book? 

Adoramapix

That depends Cheryl. If you mean for a guest book (or a book you expect people to write in) then luster is probably your best choice as the texture on pebble and linen make it harder to write smoothly. If you're not looking to write in it, then it really comes down to personal preference and the look that you feel would like. A recent addition that isn't listed above is our deep matte paper which has a silky finish and is great for soft images.

Vivian Ronay

So what are the papers offered that are not listed above?  What is "deep matte" ? and any others not listed.

Adoramapix

Hi Vivian. The papers types not listed above for photo books are just deep matte, and in the case of Hudson albums (flush mount) there is also matte and Metallic. I'll add the new types to the images above shortly, but for now we have a YouTube video that shows them:

http://youtu.be/_mk5rAniZnk?list=UUIyKUAJ2_kU1-Dz_T3OLgyg

Lisa Stamitoles

Has there been a change to the luster paper used for photo books? I have 3 books that were printed in November, and the paper is noticeably different than the books I ordered earlier in the year (one as recently as late September). 

Adoramapix

Hi Lisa. In what way is the paper different?

Angel Vidana
    Agree with Lisa, books on luster paper looks kind of different than months ago, I think different  than before ADORAMAPIX moved to new location. I am ordering a photo book right know on luster paper ((last order today:confirmation number is: 1671179_fhfp)), as always order my book on adoramapix, but have been wondering if is time to try other type of paper. Would be great if could have  samples on hand so we can order the full photo book with confidence. Hope could have them soon. Thank you
    Adoramapix

Lisa, Angel... you say the paper is different, but you didn't say if you think it's better or worse. Different how?

Lisa Stamitoles

The paper seems slightly thinner to the touch, and the colors on the page not as deep. The finish of the pages seems different with the pages in the newer books, though it's kind of hard to describe what's different about them. The pages in the newer book are less glossy than my older books (all books have been make with luster paper). I like the pages, feel, image quality, finish, etc. of the pages in my older books better than the most recent ones I received this week. 

Angel Vidana

I have not noted thinner paper, but yes less vivid colors and less bright in paper, newer books look kind of sad, would say almost like plain paper. I am not sure but think printers and/or paper has changed and unfortunately don't find those shocking pages anymore.

C Owen

Exactly how thick are the Hudson Album pages (in either inches or mm)?  Thanks!

Adoramapix

Hi. i don't have a micrometer handy for an accurate measurement, but eyeballing it with a ruler it looks like a 1.5 to 1.7mm

Vanessa Jones

Hi I'm in the process of creating my wedding album and was thinking about converting it to the Hudson album. I'm having a difficult time selecting the right paper. Understanding that it's a personal preference, what paper do people generally select and from your perspective what typically looks the best?

Adoramapix

Hi Vanessa. It really is a personal preference, but I can say that Luster is the default for a reason. It has a nice look with a subtle fine-grained texture to its surface and a very slight sheen without being reflective. Deep matte is a great choice for soft dreamy pastel colors - baby books, flowers, some wedding shots. Glossy makes colors bright, saturated and very vibrant. The textured papers like Pebble and Linen have similar characteristics to the luster, but a much more pronounced texture that can give added character to your pages. Metallic has a very distinctive look and is a popular choice for many photos. Since your wedding album is a big deal, if you have a few photos as samples you might try narrowing down your choices and when you think you're down to your final contenders, order a couple of prints of some favorite photos from your album in those two papers and see them firsthand before you make your final decision. Go for the one you best like the look of.

Leonid Ryhik

I have a similar question about the paper used for calendars. I have received a few days ago the 2015 calendars, and the paper is noticeably thinner, lighter and feels generally flimsier than what it used to be in the previous years (I have calendars printed at Adorama for the last several years).  Is this a bug or has something changed? 

Adoramapix

Hi Leonid. With calendars we did make a change in the process. The overwhelming feedback from our customers was that they loved our calendar quality but that the price point was a little high for a calendar. We investigated our options and decided that the silver halide photo paper, which is a key component of our photo books, which are made to last a lifetime, added substantially to the cost. Unlike photo books, most people don't keep calendars for as long, or handle them as much, so we moved to a new technology inkjet using photo quality paper that is superior to any of our competitors. This allowed us to maintain the image quality and color our customers demanded, while making them more affordable.

Leonid Ryhik

Many thanks, Al, for such a quick and detailed answer. This makes sense though I think the image quality is also slightly off compared to the previous years, not just the paper quality. It would be very nice if you consider restoring the "old paper" as an option for the calendars, at a higher price point. Can you also address the comments above about the change in the quality of the photo book paper? Was there any change in the paper, as with the calendars? The quality of your books was always superb, and it would be a big pity if it is compromised in any way.  Thanks again, and Happy New Year! 

Angel Vidana

Agree with Leonid, is there some reason like price around the quality of photo book quality prints/paper ? would really like to have those vivid photo books back.

Adoramapix

To my knowledge there has been no such change in the photo book paper on our end, but I do remember hearing that the manufacturers themselves sometimes alter their products - to increase longevity, to improve color, etc. so its possible that Kodak or Fuji made changes in the manufacturing process that may account for subtle variations in the texture of the surface, etc.

Arsalan Abbasi

I too have noticed a disappointing change in the paper. I use adoramapix to print architecture portfolios, and my latest print is shinier (with more glare) and has a deeper textured grit, which makes the pages harder to read. Many of the pages in my book are identical to ones I printed in previous portfolios, so seeing side-by-side comparisons makes it more pronounced, although the change is quite subtle. The colors are different too, particularly on the cover, which no longer has a metallic finish like it used to. Is there something I missed for any of these options?

Leonid Ryhik

I have received my latest book, and yes, the change in the cover is rather obvious. The rest of the pages seem slightly different from the past, and a bit thinner, but the difference seems much less dramatic to me, and, for me, more or less acceptable. I would say that with the new paper for the calendars I  would be happy to learn about an alternative to Adoramapix, but with the books I would be fine continuing printing them at Adoramapix. On a separate note, Al, thank you very much for answering the questions here. is there an option for the old paper for the cover that I have missed?

Matt Sweadner

Why aren't there examples of the Kodak Endura Matte, Kodak Endura Metallic and Fuji Deep Matte papers? I'm very interested in the Fuji Deep Matte but don't see any description or examples of it anywhere :(

Sara Bruinsma

I have just finished creating a wedding album for a friend and am having a difficult time deciding what type of paper to use, originally I chose matte but I am worried it will mute the colors too much, her colors were all pastels so I don't need them to pop but I also don't want them to look washed out. I like the luster but am not sold on the texture of the page, I noticed when on the order page that there is another option that is not mentioned anywhere in the videos which is the Kodak Endura Silk. I was hoping you could give me a link where I can see either a photo of the silk finish or a video displaying it thank you. 

Giuliana Maresca

It seems like a lot people miss the photo books that had that metallic finish on the front and back cover.  I would pay extra for this type of finish if you offered it again.  I ordered many photo books from you last year and they all had that beautiful metallic finish on the front and back cover but the last book I ordered (last week)  did not have that finish. It was just a dull paper quality finish front and back.  Please let me know when you will bring back that metallic finish. Thanks.

C Owen

How do the new slim Hudson Album pages compare to the photobook pages in terms of thickness?

Adoramapix

They are slightly thicker than the photo book pages and inflexible. I'll try to get you a precise %

Sakthei Ramprasad
    Hi, is Kodak endura silk and metallic are both same or different photo paper? If it's different can you please explain it.. I have previously order metallic and lustre prints but not sure about endura silk. Thanks
    Adoramapix

If you check out this video on our YouTube channel, it shows the different paper types. I'll add a close-up image of the texture to this posting  shortly.

Please sign in to leave a comment.